Canada's Diavik mine axes 51 jobs – MINING.COM –

Diavik Diamond Mines, the corporate that runs the iconic operation of the identical identify in Canada’s Northwest Territories, has axed 51 jobs because of what the agency known as “difficult” market situations, CBC Information reported.
Diavik mine, owned by Dominion Diamond (TSX, NYSE:DDC) with a 40% stake and Rio Tinto (ASX, LON:RIO) holding the remaining 60%, has been affected by mayor modifications as of late.
Early this month, Dominion introduced it was shifting its headquarters from Yellownife to Calgary as a part of a cost-cutting transfer that may depart about 100 unemployed, however that may save the agency $19 million a yr as soon as the relocation is accomplished by mid-2017.
Diavik is positioned within the Northwest Territories, 300 kilometres northeast of Yellowknife, near Ekati, which Dominion purchased from BHP Billiton (ASX:BHP) in 2013.
The mine is predicted to expire of diamonds in 2024, even with the event of a fourth pipe, often called A21, which is predicted to start manufacturing in 2018.
That is actual. I do know a number of the 51. First you cannot make a dwelling pumping oil, and now you cannot make a dwelling digging diamonds!
The whole lot is altering. Chemical vapor disposition know-how for the making of artificial diamonds can also be displacing pure diamond demand. Heads-up on one former mining firm that was instrumental in information evaluation, anybody round mining would know DIAGNOS, they reinvented themselves and are making use of their synthetic intelligence platform to make use of within the diabetes market now and I critical suppose they’re a ten bagger; see know-how journal assessment of the op very compelling.
Diamond is a luxurious merchandise and as long as demand for gold exists, craze for diamonds additionally do exist.. And they’re aspirational in nature, so everyone longs to have the gems. Artificiallab made diamonds are usually not a competetion to naturals, however comlementary and each might co exist,The potential new discoveries in each a part of the world, might pose main threats to marginally worthwhile mines in sure international locations and to mines with excessive working prices like in Canada and Russia, located in hostile environments..India has bought all the benefits like potentiality ,infrastructure and simpler accesability to grid energy and so forth..However value of the land is very prohibitive, And, ofcourse the very excessive taxes and lenient perspective in the direction of exploration,and unfriendly perspective in the direction of mining normally are actual dampeners. Sadly diamond mining was saved in dormancy for ceturies,by colonial rulers and by for greater than six many years by governments in energy. My analysis work for 25 years , has resulted in figuring out some kimberltes/dykes in south india belonging to totally different clusters .And. not too long ago I’ve recognized some kimberlites in gondwanas.too. The oft repeated propaganda for hundreds of years that diamond mines bought exhausted in india is way from fact. Bunder diamond mine discover in Madhya pradesh is a positive instance for that .. I all the time longed to see India as a serious tough diamond producer. however I’ve a sense that we missed the bus miserably and notably within the current context of oversupply..However, as a serious importer and with lakhs of extremely expert workforce ,India wants to provide few million carats of diamonds a yr. It saves few lakhs artisans jobs additionally which might be out of . work. With somuch glorius previous, our nationwide delight can also be struggling. quite a bit .It’s like profitable one silver and one bronze at rio olympics with 125 billion folks..As a nation indian leaders have lengthy forgotten the which means of resilence and dedication.
@ Lakshmi, My thought course of precisely follows yours. I strongly consider no kimberite goes dry. Hold digging to search out extra diamonds. If that’s true, the kimberite which produced Kohinoor which was forgotten will need to have extra diamonds left to be dug. I dont consider 5-10 centuries again folks have dug up your complete pipe right down to few kilometers.
All we want is a authorities which understands enterprise and other people dwelling in proximity not negetive to the mining industries. We are able to nonetheless produce IIb diamonds of their thousands and thousands of carats.
The most cost effective possibility is to permit some firm (for instance your’s with data) to sift via Kirshna river mattress from Hyderabad until Machilipatnam and even past in sea mattress (like in Orange river in South Africa)


Scroll to Top